Thursday, January 17, 2008

January Update

Howdy all! Life in Gambia is going well. Christmas and New Years have come and gone. I'm adjusting to my site pretty well. My boss gave me a dog named Dixie. She is about a year old and managed to go into heat the day I got her, so now there are puppies on the way. The rabbit program that was passed onto me from the previous volunteers is doing well. Out of three females, there have already been two litters born! I am hoping to have about 40 breeding stock by the end of 2008; I hope that is possible. I also have a pretty large garden in which I planted okra, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, peppers, and sorrel (a flower used to make juice); I also plan on planting squash, cabbage, beans, Irish potatoes, and pumpkin. Hopefully I will have lots of veggies in a few months time.

Language is coming along “slowly slowly” as they say here. But I am learning a little everyday. I have good days and bad days. Hopefully in time i will be fluent.

Well, i better run, my time on the net is up.

Love and miss you all!


1 comment:

Tmac89 said...

Hi Alicia! Glad everything is going ok. I miss you so much! Were you able to see the tiny videos on my website - the messages from the holidays. http://www.tmacdesign.com/mov4alicia/

Looking forward to you next post! Love - Aunt Tricia