Sunday, May 17, 2009

april and may

A TYPICAL DAY:

It's hot. I rode my bike to the weekly market this morning, about 20km. by noon it was too hot to ride my biek back so I decided to take a gele-gele (van). I walk my bike to the carpark, haggle over how much I will pay for getting my bike tied to the tope of the vehicle along side the sheep and bags of rice. after negotiations are finished, we seal the deal witha a fist pound. not a cultural normal custom, but thanks to rap videos has become and ever more popular action.
I climb into what used to be some sort of delivery van, bossibly a bread truck. It is only half full which means at least another half hour of waiting. I now regret not bringing my book. I find an open seat and chat in a local language before the crazy man comes and starts asking me for money. He is always here and always askes me for mooney. I never give it to him, but I know next time I see him, he will ask again.
I am thirst, but have run out of water in my nalgene bottle. So I catch the eye of the ten year old girl with a tray of bananas balanced on her head. I hiss at her and motion for her to come to me. Through the open window, I give her a dalasi coin (about 5 cents) and tell her to bring me a bag of cold water. She leaves and returns 30 seconds later with luke warm water in a clear plasic sandwich bag tied at the open end. I tear a hole in the corner of the bag with my teeth and drink the liter of water as fast as humanly possible. when i'm finished drinking, I throuw the empty bag out the window on the ground next to the other empty bags, old papers, and disgarded cans.
As more people climb into the vehicle, it gets hotter and hotter. It's now 1:30pm and probably 115*F. Finally the car is full, but the driver isn't here. He returns after a few minutes and starts the van with one turn of the key. I am impressed because we often have to do a push start. We still do not move however because the front passanger is having issues putting his seat belt on. Recently a seatbelt law is being enforced at all of the police check points. Ok, it's unstuck and we are off!
Less than half an hour later I am at my house. Because it is too hot to do anything else, I lay on my bench and read a book. I've changed into boxer shorts and am taking refuge in the coolness of my house. It's only 95*F inside. Even the breeze that cuts through the windows is warm.
After awhile I become drowsy and put the book down to take a nap. After dozing a little, I am awoken by a tickling sensation on my leg. Flies. I make a mental note that it is time to shave because the flies are tickling the hairs on my legs. Despite the screens on the windows and doors, five or so flies have managed to get in. I try to ignor them, but it is impossible. I look at my dog, the flies are not disturbing her. I shake them off and try to sleep again. but they return. I swat at them with my book killing one. I feel satisfied that the other flies get the message and will leave me alone now. They however do not. Again after dozing off, I am rudely awoken by the tickling on my legs. I feel like a crazy woman. I sit up frantically waving my arms in the general direction of the flies and mumble at them, explaining how annoying they are and that they should leave me alone. I lay back down. Two seconds after I shut my eyes, the alarm on my watch chimes. It is time for me to go meet my friend. I will not get a nap today.




PICTURE TIME:

this goat was sick, so we had to kill it before it
died so that we could still eat it. turns out it had
pneumonia. yes, we ate it anyway.




this is my friend seedy. he is doing a poultry project
with exotic (european) broilers. his over all goal is to
have layers.




different poultry farmers








men building a poultry house out of "local materials"
typical style is a mud brick house with grass roof.
when i brought the camera over to take her picture
auntie made sure to go put her flip flops on. safety first!

nene chopping fire wood. and yes the child standing
next to her is perfectly safe.




chickens:





bunnies:







firewood chopping video
goat slaughtering video:
WARNING: some people may find animal slaughtering
disturbing

No comments: